Thursday, January 20, 2011

Garland County Democratic Central Committee Election of Officers for 2011-2012

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 the members of the Garland County Democratic Central Committee elected Dr. Gene Shelby to the position of Chair for the coming term. He stated that he may be running for office again in 2012 so may have an abbreviated term if he does. The officers were the usual slate with the exception of Gene. I was wholeheartedly behind him for this position. He represents a cool head and a dedicated Democrat that follows the philosophy as well as the platform of what makes us Democrats.

The group decided and voted George Hozendorf to be our representative at the state level. This to me is proof positive that the Peter Principle is alive and well in Garland County. I hope the State committee has a broader understanding of the political process than the local group.

George refused to answer my question concerning the removal of those people that won't support the party doctrine right down the line. He put forth in an email to all members of the committee that anyone not supporting unflinchingly any Democrat in office he/she should be removed from the Central Committee. He stated that since it was 'his choice' he didn't have to answer my question or defend his opinion. Rick Saunders defended his right not to answer which led me to believe that if you aren't a sheep you're not welcome in the ranks. Their excuse is your opinion if it does not follow the "Party" is unwelcome and will be used by the Republicans to defeat any Democrat that runs. This may be the 'general' opinion of democracy in action but it aint mine. Representative Mike Ross voted AGAINST the Democratic platform by voting to repeal the Health Care Reform bill. I saw no motion to pull his membership as a Democrat.

When a person can't voice his/her opinion in a group of like minded people you end up with a fascist form of oligarchy. I was hoping that we could move beyond that with the removal of George but there are those that still believe 'passive agreement' is the better course for Democrats.

And they wonder why we keep getting our pants knocked off. If you won't stand for something you'll stand for anything. The Democrats let the Republicans frame the issues in the last election and with this philosophy the same thing will happen in the next one.

Jerry Rephan is running a great campaign for the position of District 24 Representative in Little Rock. The special election will be held March 8, 2011. I encourage everyone that wants to see the government be more responsive to the people then they will get behind Jerry wholeheartedly. His credentials are impeccable and his public service is outstanding. Whether you live in District 24 or not, I would like everyone to get out and work for his election.

I just started reading Griftopia by Matt Taibbi. I had the library order it for me. I may have to get my own copy because this book is just too good to not use as a reference and to just read over and over because it is so insightful and current. I posted on my wall in Facebook a passage from the book if anyone cares to read it. Or you can just go buy your own copy or wait until I finish it and borrow it from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers