Thursday, October 31, 2013

Medicare

Fucked and sold out

 
 
I decided to change my Medicare supplement because the one I had with, Coventry, was misrepresented to me and there was nothing I could do until the plan year change occurred. That was October 5, 2013.
I received as did many of my constituents the usual booklet identifying all the programs offered, costs and benefits for each. What a crock of shit.
When I enrolled 5 years ago I received in the mail 2 BOOKS listing every option available to me and what the separate costs were for each. I admit I had a time wading through the wherefores and why-nots but I eventually settled on a supplement that fit my budget and lifestyle. I decided after a year I would try another because I wasn't that satisfied with the handling of any of my bills, etc.
Last year I received 1 BOOK. It had less information but since someone was offering a 'free' seminar with lunch to learn about a particular supplement, I thought "What the hell" I can always use a 'free' meal.
I was told I would get the same services with a few exceptions as my previous supplement such as instead of a 'paid' membership in Silver Sneakers I would receive a check for the amount and I could join any gym I wanted to.
AFTER I became a member I was told the amount I would receive was in the amount of $250. That barely covered 3 months at the Y. I was pissed. I now had to wait another year before I could change companies AGAIN!
This year, looking forward to having the necessary information in hand I could now, after so many fuck ups, really pick a service that gave me what I wanted. WRONG!
This book listed companies (fewer than before), same telephone number for different plans under the separate companies and no information.
I called the numbers of Humana and Windsor (they were the only ones that I felt I could afford without giving my right arm or leg plus my oldest child). I requested more information, please. ( See, I can be polite) Humana said I had to make an appointment with a representative to show me their plans. WHAT? When did I get senile?
I fired off emails to both President Obama and Senator Mark Pryor. complaining about having to be 'spoon fed' what I was clearly cogent enough to decide without a 'goon' from an insurance company invading my privacy trying to sell me something I could surely decide for myself whether I wanted to buy their program or not.
 I let the representative come over from Humana. Nice guy, but you know what nice guys are, a pain in the ass when they don't know shit.
Long story short, I bought from him another policy that he said I should not tell Humana he had discussed with me since it was my appointment with him that I had made through Humana. See what I mean? Bull fucking shit.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I get from Windsor (the company I went with because I was assured they offered Silver Sneakers in their plan). (You still with me or have you gone to sleep yet?)
The brochure I got in the mail  from Windsor showed a 'cheaper' policy that had no monthly premium included (in other words $0 out of pocket after Medicare which is paid for). I called and got this really nice lady on the line that told me "Oh, yes, Silver Sneakers comes with  the plan but I would receive a BALL, some instructions twice a year on how to use the  fucking (my term) ball." WHAT? Now this is when I REALLY went ballistic. I explained in no uncertain terms that I was on a first name basis with our Attorney General in Arkansas and that I had received information from the State of Arkansas about FRAUD from SHIIP and that my next phone call was going to be to Dustin McDaniel  and I hung up.
I thought for the benefit of staying out of jail I had better call a friend and unload on her which I did. Before I could call Dustin, my phone rang and it was the same 'nice lady' but this time she wouldn't let sugar melt in her mouth. She was terribly sorry about the misunderstanding. Yes, Silver Sneakers did include membership in the Y. Yes, I could change policies but I would need to reapply over the phone to get the cheaper plan.
That sounded like a winner. hahahahaha (laughing hysterically)
I called the number she gave me and this time this lady hadn't been threatened with Dustin so she could really care less whether I was a happy camper or not. I got hung up on.
I redialed, got a different indifferent agent and explained what I wanted. Now just for the record, I don't make a lot of money on Social Security so the state of Arkansas is kind enough to underwrite my prescription medications (of which I don't use any unless my dog scratches me and I get an infection or a tick bites me giving me possibly Lyme's disease).
The policy that I was asking to join does not have prescription coverage. I explained that it didn't matter, the state paid for my prescriptions and all I had to do was show a letter to the pharmacy to that effect. She was very insistent that the state would no longer cover my prescriptions if I didn't have a prescription policy. WHAT THE FUCK? Having gotten nowhere and my voice rising not by notes but by octaves, I decided it would be in my and her best interest if I called the state, clarified exactly what it was I was getting from them and hung up.
I called the state and was informed the lines were so long please leave a message, a short description of the information requested (by now I'm a pillar of self-control) and a number to call back, someone would get back to me as soon as my call came up.
So here I am trying to be a 'normal' person dealing with a bureaucracy gone berserk and not enough money to get so damn drunk I won't give a shit.
Any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers